1. When did you start genealogy research? 1998.
2. Why did you start doing research? I was a Pathfinder (Girl Guides of Canada) leader at the time, and one of the challenges for the girls to do was about heritage. I thought what a great idea it would be to have them do a family tree. I figured I had better do mine so that I could show them what to do. Since I have started, I have not been able to stop.
3. What was your first big success in research? Finding my great-grandparents is the 1881 England Census. The dates of birth on their gravestone markers are incorrect. It made finding them in that census a bit challenging.
4. What is your biggest genealogy regret? Not asking my mom how she met my dad before she passed away.
5. What are you best known for in the genealogy world? People associating me with the name LOOKING4ANCESTORS through my blog and through speaking engagements.
6. What is your professional status in genealogy? I am currently working on my Professional Certificate in Genealogical Studies in English and Canadian research. I plan to graduate in 2010.
7. What is your biggest genealogy achievement? Being recognized as the family historian in my family.
8. What is the most FUN you've had doing genealogy? I'd have to say it is interacting with like-minded people at expos, conferences and workshops.
9. What is your favourite genealogy how-to book? Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills. Although I do have to mention Parish & Registration Districts in England & Wales by Dr. Penelope Christensen. It is not a how-to book, but I would not have been able to get as far in my English & Welsh research without it.
10. What notable genealogist would you like to meet someday? - I have to pick just one? Alright. That person would have to be Lorine McGinnis Schulze of Olive Tree Genealogy blog. Ever since I read her book about our Van Slyke ancestors and discovered we are (distantly) related, I have wanted to meet Lorine. Perhaps one day we can meet in Toronto for a coffee or a tea.
Are you a Genealogy Junkie? Share your True Confessions by leaving me a comment and let me know.